Re: Manually culling a list

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg115154] Re: Manually culling a list
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 04:58:24 -0500 (EST)

That fails (AS DESCRIBED):

list = CharacterRange["A", "F"];
CheckboxBar[Dynamic[x], list]

{"A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F"}[[{"A", "D", "F"}]]

Part::pspec: Part specification {A,D,F} is neither an integer nor a list
of integers. >>

But success is hidden within:

{"A", "D", "F"}

Documentation includes the simple example

{CheckboxBar[Dynamic[x], {1, 2, 3}], Dynamic[x]}

and this is also interesting:

{TogglerBar[Dynamic[y], Range[5]], Dynamic[y]}

In both cases, elements are added to x in the order that check-marks are

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 03:24:28 -0600, Armand Tamzarian
<mike.honeychurch at> wrote:

> On Dec 30 2010, 8:10 pm, ntg <ntgl... at> wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>> Suppose I have a longish list of items that I want to manually cull.
>> It seems I should be able to do something like
>> checkList = ({Checkbox[], #)& /@ list
>> Then, I could write
>> instanceOfCheckList = checkList
>> check away, and hopefully see something like
>> {{True, item1}, {False, item2}, ...}
>> which I could manipulate. But all I see is the the list of "checked"
>> checkboxs and items, not the consequence of checking the boxes. I can
>> do a FullForm on instanceOfCheckList and extract what I need via list
>> surgery-- but that is inelegant. I'm sure there is some magic
>> incantation involving Evaluate or Interpretation or Dynamic. Can you
>> help?
>> Thanks,
>> Tom
> It looks to me like CheckboxBar is what you need.
> CheckboxBar[Dynamic[x], list]
> then make your manual selections, then to recover your selections:
> list[[x]]
> Note that on a Mac CheckboxBar has a formatting issue when you display
> it vertically (WRI tech support have logged this bug) the labels, if
> you have word labels, do no align very well with the check box.
> Mike

DrMajorBob at