Re: How to change the directory for the docs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115299] Re: How to change the directory for the docs?
  • From: kj <no.email at please.post>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 04:07:48 -0500 (EST)

In <ifuorh$cbi$1 at smc.vnet.net> telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com> writes:

>On Jan 3, 2:57 am, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
>> In <ifpk99$bs... at smc.vnet.net> David Bailey <d... at removedbailey.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> >It might help to explain why you want to do this. There is probably an
>> >easier way to achieve whatever it is you want to do.
>>
>> Well, if you want to know, I've copied all the Mathematica
>> documentation notebooks to a personal directory, so that I can
>> modify them at will.  The ultimate goal is to supplement these
>> notebooks with important information that they lack, and to fix
>> factual errors in them.  I want all the built-in Mathematica help
>> facilities to point to these annotated notebooks rather than to
>> the "official" ones.
>>
>> ~kj

>Now I'm intrigued... Can we make a wiki version?!?

That's exactly right.  In fact, I think that something similar to
a wiki should be the standard way to document all software.  The
difference from a wiki is that the various strands of contribution
(including the original documentation) are kept separate.  The
viewer can choose to turn on or off strands by individual authors.
I've seen something similar to this done before (Postgres, Perl),
but it has not caught on for some reason, despite the general
proliferation of wikis.

>(Guessing WRI would
>not be happy with this---umm...copy rights?)

That was my guess too.  Judging by the tight-fistedness of their
documentation, I can guess that they'd want absolute control over
anything that could be construed as documentation for Mathematica.
Avoiding hassles from WRI's lawyers is the main reason I have not
set up a wiki-like site like the one described above.  (And I
wouldn't be surprised on bit if WRI has squashed similar efforts
before.)

~kj