Re: Curl and Div problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115558] Re: Curl and Div problems
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:20:18 -0500 (EST)

Indeed, when I reported this business about the syntax coloring of Curl
to Wolfram tech support, they responded quickly to point out it
indicates shadowing (hence -- they did not explicitly say this -- it's
not a bug).

The trouble is, before you load the VectorAnalysis package, Curl seems
to have no meaning other than as a symbol:

   ?Curl
System`Curl

And if you search for Curl in the Documentation Center, you seem to get
no item related to that name in the System context.

This is an annoyance, yet I don't see a wholly satisfactory resolution
to it. Having Curl available in the System context means you can define
your own definition for it.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305