storing expressions between successive runs of the same notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115653] storing expressions between successive runs of the same notebook
  • From: Alan Ford <fabio.sattin at igi.cnr.it>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 05:41:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I am sure it is a trivial question, but I cannot get out of it:
I have written a notebook that loads some data and returns it output
in the form of a function Y(x). You may think of Y as a sort of fit of
the data.
It is not, but that is not relevant.
Now, after having run the notebook a first time, I need to redo the
same calculations
on a different set of data. Thus, eventually get a new Y'(x).
The problem is: I want to retain both Y(x) and Y'(x), so as to compare
them.
In a standard notebook evaluation, all definitions are overwritten
each time I run the notebook
so, at the end of the second iteration Y(x) takes the same expression
as Y'(x), while I want
to have distinct expressions.
I am aware that a solution would be reformatting the notebook as a do-
loop, but I would rather
keeping it in its run-once form.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks