Mathematica v8: import a space-delimited table of numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115800] Mathematica v8: import a space-delimited table of numbers?
  • From: Gordon Robertson <grobertson at bcgsc.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 04:30:55 -0500 (EST)

I routinely use Import[] for "CSV" and "TSV" files, but now need to
import a space-delimited file in which each line has a string as the
first element, and then thousands of (space-delimited) decimal numbers.

After looking at the help documentation, and previous posts on
MathGroup, I don't see a simple way to Import while specifying that the
separator is a space (in R's read.table, I'd use sep=" ").

I expect that I could read in the file as a table, split lines on
spaces, then map ToExpression across the numbers in each row. Have I'd
missed something in the documentation?

Thanks for your help.

Gordon
--
Gordon Robertson
BC Cancer Agency Genome Sciences Centre

--------------080102060502060908060009

  <head>

  </head>
    I routinely use Import[] for "CSV" and "TSV" files, but now need to
    import a space-delimited file in which each line has a string as the
    first element, and then thousands of (space-delimited) decimal
    numbers. <br>
    After looking at the help documentation, and previous posts on
    MathGroup, I don't see a simple way to Import while specifying that
    the separator is a space (in R's read.table, I'd use sep=" "). <br>
    I expect that I could read in the file as a table, split lines on
    spaces, then map ToExpression across the numbers in each row. Have
    I'd missed something in the documentation?<br>
    Thanks for your help.<br>
    Gordon<br>
        charset=ISO-8859-1">
      <title></title>
      Gordon Robertson<br>
      BC Cancer Agency Genome Sciences Centre<br>
      Vancouver BC Canada<br>
      604-707-5800<br>

--------------080102060502060908060009--