Re: About Table

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115992] Re: About Table
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 06:15:52 -0500 (EST)

On 1/27/11 at 3:40 AM, olfa.mraihi at yahoo.fr (olfa) wrote:

>when evaluating this input (with shift+enter): m +
>Max[Table[A[index1], {index1, i, N}]]

>I obtain the output: m + Table[A[index1], {index1, i, N}]

>How to explain why the function Max wasn't maintained (I mean why it
>was ignored by mathematica)???!!!

It was returned unevaluated since Mathematica has no way to make
a comparison between elements of the generated list until you
define A.

In Mathematica, the syntax A[index1] becomes A[1],A[2] etc.
These are interpreted by Mathematica as the *function* A
evaluate at 1, 2 etc. It is impossible for Mathematica or anyone
for that matter to determine how A[1] compares with A[2] until A
is defined. Note, this is also true when you think of A[1] as
being a subscripted variable.