Re: implementation for Binarize

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg116037] Re: implementation for Binarize
  • From: Matthias Odisio <matthias at>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:43:00 -0500 (EST)

Hello Zamri,

On 1/29/11 4:24 AM, zamri wrote:
> Hai all
> I am interested in using mathematica in research for image processing.
> Is there a way I can see the implementation of Binarize for learning
> purposes?
> If not possible, can an expert do some quick programming im
> mathematica on how to get something similar to Binarize.

If you refer to the different methods of Binarize, then the
documentation gives a short description of them, enough to get an
Internet search started. The default is Otsu's algorithm

> My idea is to try some new function/idea on Binarize, e.g
> Binarize[image, f] where f is some functions.
> Help is greatly appreciate.
> zamri

Binarize performs a point-based operation.
Binarize[image, function] is a correct syntax.

If you wish to experiment with methods computing a threshold based on
the histogram, then you may want to use ImageLevels in your code.
Once you get a threshold t, just call Binarize[image, t].

Matthias Odisio
Wolfram Research