loops in mathematica

I have a problem with a loop that I would like to write in Mathematica.

I have a function sigma that changes with i.
and I have a function alpha that changes with sigma.

Imagining that i goes from 1 to 100, in another system I would write something like:

sigma=zeros(100,1);

alpha=zeros(100,1);

for i=1:100;

    sigma(i,1)=some function of i;