Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg120187] Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?
- From: "slawek" <slawek at host.pl>
- Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:58:51 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
U¿ytkownik "Noqsi" <noqsiaerospace at gmail.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci grup dyskusyjnych:iv6gf9$ruo$1 at smc.vnet.net... > On Jul 7, 5:40 am, "slawek" <sla... at host.pl> wrote: > >> The convention that 2.0 is less accurate than 2.00 is applied ONLY in >> Mathematica (the computer program). > > Not true. This is a long-standing convention in experimental science. There is no such convention. There is always possible that 2.00 +- 0.53 . Nobody should believe that 2.00 is more exact than 2.0 or even 2 . (If so, then 2 Pi have got 10% std. dev. ;)