Re: How to write a "proper" math document

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120207] Re: How to write a "proper" math document
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 03:10:51 -0400 (EDT)

My point was that you were (probably deliberately) confusing two
different aspects of Mathematica (and thus confusing the "naive user"
whose interests you so often claim to represent).

The first "aspect" is that of a computer algebra system. As you know
perfectly well, all computer algebra systems employ certain standard or
canonical forms for representing certain mathematical expression which
arise from algorithmic considerations and sometimes result in output
that differs from standard mathematical practice. One, rather trivial
example, that was discussed recently is Mathematica's outputting
Sqrt[2*n] as Sqrt[2]*Sqrt[n], which is not the normal thing to do in
mathematics. There is, of course, a great deal more of this kind of
thing. Of course one can uses various programming tricks to convert such
output into "standard" mathematics but, as you have yourself pointed
out, it is a a little like "trying to teach a pig to sing". It is easier
to make the necessary changes by hand (enabling "drag and drop" of text
in the Preferences makes it, for me anyway, even easier). Doing such
editing in Mathematica is certainly easier than doing it in TeX, where
you (usually) have to work with the "source".

But then there is the second aspect of Mathematica and that is one of
the things that distinguishes it from all other CAS known to me. It is
also a complete, high quality, WYSIWIG mathematical typesetting system,
capable of producing professional or "near professional" quality
technical publications. If you doubt it, get hold of a copy of William
Shaw's "Complex Analysis with Mathematica", CUP 2006 and see if you can
tell the difference between this and similar books written in TeX.

Actually, as I wrote in my post, I think there is a difference but it
involves very subtle things, like precise spacing, the size of secondary
indices, and some other things that most people don't pay much attention
to. Also, I myself have never succeeded getting Mathematica to produce a
result as nice as Shaw's book, which is why I don't think it is easy.
But Mathematica, even when uses as a "static editor" has lots of
advantages over TeX editors, like the ability to paste high resolution
pictures and parts of pdf files directly into a notebook (at least on
the Mac). When you then print to PDF you get a single pdf file in which
the stuff originally written in Mathematica and the things that were
pasted in are merged seamlessly together. Achieving anything like this
with TeX takes a great deal more effort.

Actually, Shaw's book is also a fine example of how one should approach
Mathematica's input and output in what is primarily a mathematics book.
Shaw clearly distinguishes Mathematica's input and output on the one
hand form "mathematical formula's", on the other and does not attempt to
"tweak" Mathematica's output to make it look more like conventional
mathematics.  On the very few occasions  where the output looks
different from standard mathematics, Shaw still keeps the Mathematica
form in the output but uses "ordinary" notation in the text. (One such
case involves the spacing between the symbols in a product such as x y,
which in Mathematica's output is too wide compared with the usual
convention in mathematics).

In any case, the point is that Mathematica is a fully capable
mathematics typesetting system and the fact that it is also a CAS does
not in any essential way diminish these capabilities. Personally I find
it still too hard to achieve results as good as with TeX, particularly
for the kind of mathematics that I do (e.g. Mahematica is not very good
and producing "commutative diagrams" etc), but there is no reason, in
principle, why it should not become as good in the future. The fact that
it is a CAS is no obstacle.

Andrzej Kozlowski