Genomes Mathematica knows about and how to use them?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120511] Genomes Mathematica knows about and how to use them?
  • From: "Ted Ersek" <ersekt at md.metrocast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:11:14 -0400 (EDT)

I know someone who is a researcher in biochemistry and I wanted to show them
how Mathematica could be useful in their research.  I read somewhere that
besides the human genome,  Mathematica has the genome of a certain species
of mouse and fruit fly in its  curated data.  Then I figured Mathematica
might also have the genomes of the bacteria they research in its curated
data.

How does one find out what genomes are included in curated data that comes
with Mathematica?  Once you know a certain genome besides the human genome
is available, how do you access it?

If one is going to Import a genome from a source independent of Wolfram
Research, what are likely file formats one would Import?

Thanks,

   Ted Ersek