Evaluating WeierstrassP at large arguments

The WeierstrassP function is doubly periodic. Do the numerical evaluation
routines for this function take this into account when evaluating for large
arguments, using a Mod function on the argument?  If not, would there be
something to be gained by the user writing a "front end" for
WeierstrassP[z,{g2,g3}] moving z to the principal period parallelogram?
Especially if g2 and g3 were fixed and z was scanned only along the
direction of one half-period.

I'm thinking of something like a high precision mod function followed by a
MachinePrecision evaluation of WeierstrassP.

My experience has been that calculating the half-periods from g2-g3 has a
fair loss of significance but if we only had to calculate them once we could
afford extra high precision.

David Park

djmpark at comcast.net

 <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/