FinancialData errors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120557] FinancialData errors
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 04:41:32 -0400 (EDT)

FUNNY STORY: Here is Tech Support's non-response to my problem, described
farther down:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to send in this report to us. The  accuracy
of the financial data depends on how quickly our sources  of data provide
updates. A 15 minutes delay on current prices is common. Longer delays are
possible depending on the data. A complete list of the sources queried by
FinancialData is available at:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/note/FinancialDataSourceInformatio
n.html

We are always looking for alternative sources of financial information to
query. If you have any suggestions on alternate sources of information we
should consider, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Sean Clarke

Now, isn't that special? The data is 5 months old, and TS tells me there's
a 15-minute delay?

I've found a new (to me) species of error in FinancialData.

One example is the price of the following stock on Feb 10, 2011:

s = "JANFX";
FinancialData["JANFX", "Name"]
FinancialData["JANFX", {{2011, 2, 9}, {2011, 2, 11}}]

"Janus Flexible Bond Fund D Shar"

{{{2011, 2, 9}, 10.25}, {{2011, 2, 10}, 10.23}, {{2011, 2, 11},
     10.24}}

As you see, FinancialData says the price was 10.23.

But I BOUGHT the stock through Janus Funds on that day, and the price was
10.36.

Moreover, if I go to Yahoo's interactive price chart for the stock at the
following page, 10.36 is the price I find:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=JANFX+Interactive#chart3:symbol=janfx;range=ytd;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

So... where are the errors really coming from?

This is not an astronomically large price or a Missing["Not Available"]
price; it's within 2% of the correct price. But it's wrong.

These errors make it very difficult to trust FinancialData for any useful
purpose.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com