querries

1)       Why does Mathematica not give the value 0 to the expression
(mu*lambda)^(b) - (mu^b)*(lambda^b)? It seems to treat the expression (mu*lambda) as a new variable. I used the greek letters from the palette in the actual expression.

2)       Many times I cannot get Mathematica to simplify expressions involving the exponential functions, e.g., it won't combine the arguments of the Exp functions. Is there a way to force this?

Thanks,
Tom Savits
Statistics Department
University of Pittsburgh