Re: what's new in 8.0.1?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117131] Re: what's new in 8.0.1?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:11:32 -0500 (EST)

Most of what went into 8.0.1 was bug fixes and performance improvements.  No, we
don't have a comprehensive list of these things (and that decision is beyond my
paygrade, so feel free to voice your opinion about this, but I can't help you).
But here are a few things which are quite notable...

* The plugin was updated to the same version which we shipped for the Wolfram
CDF Player.  Wolfram Research is going to be deploying more and more plugin
content, and some of the features needed to support this content only came to
light after we shipped 8.0.0.

* Intel has shipped new processors based upon the so-called "Sandy Bridge"
architecture.  These processors are beginning to show up in both PCs and Macs.
The version of MKL we used in 8.0.0 had serious problems under Sandy Bridge, and
so needed to be upgraded.

* I believe a fair amount of continuing development went into the new graph
theory functionality, too, although I couldn't speak from personal knowledge
what the actual improvements are.

Also, if you reported a bug to Wolfram Research and that bug was fixed in 8.0.1,
you should be receiving an email indicating that fact.  I don't think these
emails have been sent out yet, but I imagine that will be happening pretty soon.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group