Re: Unicode path names not supported on Windows?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119264] Re: Unicode path names not supported on Windows?
  • From: Szabolcs HorvÃt <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 06:14:09 -0400 (EDT)

On 26 May 2011 18:33, John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011 06:37:09 -0400 (EDT), Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t wrote:
>> Dear MathGroup,
>>
>> It appears Mathematica 8 won't open files with unicode path names (e.g.
>> ones with non-Latin-1-codepage accented characters in them, or ones with
>> Chinese characters).
>>
>> Is there any workaround for this, apart from using only ascii in
>> directory names?
>>
>> (Note that no single code page supports all languages I use regularly .. .)
>
> Are you sure that parenthetical statement is true?  ShiftJIS and CP936 (i.e.,
> Chinese Simplified) cover a pretty wide range of characters...more than just
> ASCII and Japanese/Chinese.
>
> In current versions of Mathematica, the kernel should support arbitrary Unicode
> characters in filenames, so it is at least true that you can access all files if
> strictly necessary, albeit in perhaps a clunky manner (using, e.g.,
> NotebookPut[Get[filename]]).  Supporting Unicode filenames is planned for a
> future version of the Windows front end.  The problem doesn't exist at all on
> Mac, or in the dominant usage of Linux with UTF-8 encoded file systems.

Thanks for pointing that out :)

These days I tend to end up with non-English folder names in Hungarian
or Chinese.  In practice Hungarian is the only language that has =C5=91=C5=
=B1
(apart from some very rare exceptions).

I just need to force myself to keep everything ascii (as I did
before), that'll avoid trouble. It was just a bit confusing to get a
somewhat cryptic error -43 without any indication of what's wrong with
the notebook (i.e. it's in the wrong folder).

Szabolcs