Part // interesting undocumented feature
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122669] Part // interesting undocumented feature
- From: "Scot T. Martin" <smartin at seas.harvard.edu>
- Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 04:47:16 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A colleague new to Mathematica showed me something that I thought should cause an error:
Of course, I thought the form should just be "data[[All,1]".
It turns out that there is form of Part that works like an identity function:
Just out of a Mathematica trivia challenge question, can anyone think of an example when this undocumented syntax of Part[ ] could possibly be of use or why the programmers have it as an acceptable syntax?
Prev by Date:
Solving simple equations
Next by Date:
How to evaluate parts of an expression, but not other parts?
Previous by thread:
Re: Solving simple equations
Next by thread:
Re: Part // interesting undocumented feature