Part // interesting undocumented feature
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg122669] Part // interesting undocumented feature
- From: "Scot T. Martin" <smartin at seas.harvard.edu>
- Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 04:47:16 -0500 (EST)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
A colleague new to Mathematica showed me something that I thought should cause an error: Part[data[[All,1]]] Of course, I thought the form should just be "data[[All,1]". It turns out that there is form of Part that works like an identity function: In:= Part Out= 5 Just out of a Mathematica trivia challenge question, can anyone think of an example when this undocumented syntax of Part[ ] could possibly be of use or why the programmers have it as an acceptable syntax?