Re: Wolfram LinkLibrary and additional dll on Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121990] Re: Wolfram LinkLibrary and additional dll on Windows
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 05:33:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:49:11 +0100, Oleksandr Rasputinov
<oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com> wrote:

> The issue may be that LoadLibrary("tbb.dll") fails due to not locating
> tbb.dll on the search path--note that Windows's search path and
> Mathematica's $LibraryPath are in general very different (for example,
> on my system they contain nothing in common). If this is the case, then
> as I see it you have at least three options:
>
> 1. set the Windows search path to $LibraryPath using SetDllDirectory()
> before calling LoadLibrary() (here I assume that you would rather not
> hard-code a fully qualified path due to possible difference between
> installations);
> 2. load the library using LoadLibrary(), but giving a fully qualified
> path to the file as found by FindLibrary[];
> 3. use LoadLibrary["tbb.dll"] as part of your package initialization to
> have Mathematica do this for you before you load your own library.
>
> Of these, option 3 seems preferable to me. Actually, I'm surprised that
> LibraryFunctionLoad worked on tbb.dll considering that this will not
> contain any WolframLibrary_initialize function or indeed adhere to the
> Wolfram Library specification in any other respect.

Sorry: in option 3, LoadLibrary["tbb.dll"] should (obviously?) be
LibraryLoad["tbb.dll"]. I had mixed up the similarly named Windows
function with the Mathematica one.

In fact, LibraryLoad["tbb"] is probably better than
LibraryLoad["tbb.dll"], as this should work on all platforms provided that
the library can actually be found somewhere in $LibraryPath.