Taking the Arg of a complex number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122083] Taking the Arg of a complex number
  • From: Ben <bjgear at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:44:50 -0400 (EDT)

Would appreciate any help here, endless Googling has not revealed the answer to me:

If I define a complex number symbolically, such as x = A Exp[I phi], why does Arg[x] never return the answer I expect, phi? Using Refine with the as sumptions phi is real and between 0 and 2 pi, and that A is greater than 0 doesn't seem to help. All I get is Arg[Exp[I phi]]