Formatting in XLS(X) files

Dear all,

I'm wondering if there's any way an XLS or XLSX file one exports can
get some nice formatting: bold face and/or background colour for some
of the cells?  I'm compiling some results for collaborators and beyond
the numerical values, I'd like trends to be easily spotted by them.

>From the examples, it looks like it's a definite NO unfortunately.

Thanks very much,

Joss