Problems with reality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122168] Problems with reality
  • From: Jonathan Frazer <J.Frazer at sussex.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:40:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

I don't know of a simple example to give so my apologies for not giving one but my problem is the following:

I have a large number of differential equations to solve, all of which are real.

I use NDSolve and get complex solutions.

I'm only interested in real solutions.

With other functions in Mathematica, one can use things like Assumptions to specify variables should be real. Is there something along these lines that can be done for NDSolve? I really can't seem to find anything.

Many thanks,

Jonny