Re: Using values from inside a matrix for a new row

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122403] Re: Using values from inside a matrix for a new row
  • From: "andre.robin3" <andre.robin3 at wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:33:06 -0400 (EDT)

There are many solutions, for example this 3 lines solution :

initTable = {{1, 2, 3}}
addNewLine[table_] := Append[table, Map[f, table[[-1]], {1}]]  (* see remark
(1) *)
Nest[addNewLine, initTable, 10]

Remarks :

(1) if you prefer, you can use the equivalent syntax :
    addNewLine[table_] := Append[table, f /@ table[[-1]]]   (*more
concise,usefull, readable when you become used to mathematica *)
    addNewLine[table_] := Append[table, f /@ First[table]]  (*closer to
Shakespeare who doesn't use [[...]] at all ! *)

(2) Thanks to your textual explanations, I have done
a  implementation that reflect the way you are thinking, not
the way computers are working. That is precisely the way
you should use mathematica :

You are describing the problem in terms of "how I do it with Excel",
(calculate
one line from the line above). That is one solution, not bad,  to describe
want you want to
do. I have kept this idea in the code.

On the contrary, It is not a good idea to try to describe the problem
in terms of "how a stupid software would do it"  ("initialization", use of
"variables i,j",
"loop", ... type declaration ...). It is useless and parasitical for the
mind, unless you have to deal
with speed problem during the calculation, (you are far from this
situation...).

j89vb0$1st$1 at smc.vnet.net...