Simple question about inverse of a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122502] Simple question about inverse of a function
  • From: Mikael <mikaen.anderson.1969 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 04:22:58 -0500 (EST)

I have a simple question on how to calculate the inverse of a a function. This is the function I define:

f[t_] := (1 - t)^theta

To calculate the inverse I write:

Assuming[t >= 0 && t <= 1 && theta >= 1 && theta < Infinity, { InverseFunction[f[t]]}]

but the answer I get is

{InverseFunction[(1 - t)^theta]}.

Now I know I can do this:

In[11]:= Solve[f[g[x]]==x,g[x]]
Out[11]= {{g[x]->1-x^(1/theta)}}

but I wonder what is the correct way of specifying assumptions on t and theta to make the InverseFunction work. Thanks.