Pascal's triangle fixed. Have to use Grid[ ].

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121185] Pascal's triangle fixed. Have to use Grid[ ].
  • From: "Christopher O. Young" <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 08:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

For some reason, Row[ ] doesn't have the ItemSize option, so I have to use
Grid[ ] in order to set all items to the same size in all the rows. This
gets the entries lined up right. The ItemSize, however, seems to be
magnified a lot from the "number of ems", which the documentation claims it
is supposed to take.

Chris Young

pascalTri6[n_] :=
 Module[
  {max, cellWd},    (* Maximum entry. Cell width. *)

  max = Max[Table[Binomial[n, j], {j, 0, n}]];
  cellWd = 0.25*IntegerLength[max] + 2;

  Column[
   Table[
    Grid[
     {Table[Binomial[i, j], {j, 0, i}]},
     ItemSize -> {cellWd, 2},
     Alignment -> Center
     ],
    {i, 0, n}
    ],
   Center
   ]
  ]

I'm trying to get the same spacing between the _center points_ of each of
the numbers in the Pascal triangle, so that each entry in a row is centered
properly underneath the corresponding two entries in the row above. Instead,
all the spacing options for Row[ ] seem to just apply to the spacings
between numbers.

It looks like I would have to calculate the length (i.e., number of digits)
of each entry as I go through the table. Is DigitCount the best function to
use here? I.e., won't slow things down too much? Or is there a faster way?

Thanks for any help.

Chris Young
cy56 at comcast.net

pascalTrngl2[n_] :=
 Module[
  {max, sp},

  max = Max[Table[Binomial[n, j], {j, 0, n}]];
  sp = Round[N[Log[10, max], 5]];

  Column[
   Table[
    Row[