Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg121221] Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:06:20 -0400 (EDT)

Remove[x] perniciously changes the definition of symbols that mention x,
replacing x with Removed[x] and making those definitions useless. Clear[x]
removes definitions for x, but leaves alone other symbols that mention
it... which, to me, seems far more sensible.

After Clear[x], other symbols referring to x can still be used (with or
without new definitions for x). After Remove[x], all those symbols are
just trash, lying around waiting for Quit to clear them away.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 03:12:58 -0500, AES <siegman at> wrote:

> In article <j3u7r6$a88$1 at>,
>  Murray Eisenberg <murray at> wrote:
>> First, Clear, whether for a single object or an entire list of objects,
>> does not remove their Attributes, e.g., just their values. You might
>> want ClearAll instead.
> And how do either of those differ from Remove?

DrMajorBob at