Print bug with -script? (quotes display)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121220] Print bug with -script? (quotes display)
  • From: Alan <alan.isaac at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:06:09 -0400 (EDT)

I am using Mathematica under Windows Vista.  To run Mathematica commands as a script, my understanding is that I should invoke
    math.exe -script <scriptname>
This is working, but if I print a string
    Print["Test"]
it prints surrounded by quotes (as written literally).
I find this highly undesirable: can the quotes be suppressed?

Also, this behavior seems to conflict with the documentation:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/PropertiesOfStrings.html

Is it a bug?

Thanks,
Alan Isaac