Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121263] Re: Quit versus Clear["Global`*"]
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 03:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

This is a related observation to the use of Quit.

I have an initialization cell at the top of most of my notebooks that
loads my favorite packages and sets options. If I put Quit at the top of
all that, and then execute the whole section, the Quit seems to override
everything, i.e. at the end nothing is defined.

It appears that while Quit is executing, the other commands do, but then
the Quit kills off the results. I am not explaining it well, so here is
some abbreviated code from one of my nb's. Dump it all into an Input
cell and execute. At the end you will see that x is not defined.

Kevin

Quit
Off[General::spell];
Off[General::spell1];
bs = {FontFamily -> "Arial", FontSize -> 14, FontWeight -> Bold};
SetOptions[Plot,
   	Frame -> True,
   	FrameStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[2],
   	GridLines -> Automatic,
   	PlotStyle -> {{Red, AbsoluteThickness[3]}, {Black,
      AbsoluteThickness[3]}, {Blue,
      AbsoluteThickness[3]}, {Darker@Green, AbsoluteThickness[3]}},
   BaseStyle -> bs
   ];
SetOptions[ListPlot,
   	Frame -> True,
   	FrameStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[2],
   	GridLines -> Automatic,
   	PlotStyle -> {Blue, AbsolutePointSize[2]},
   BaseStyle -> bs
   ];
$Post := (If[MatrixQ[#], MatrixForm[#], #] &)
x = 22/7.;