Label period, instead of scale, for DWT
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg121303] Label period, instead of scale, for DWT
- From: Tyler <hayes.tyler at gmail.com>
- Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 05:26:53 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi Everyone: I was wondering if anyone knows how to label discrete wavelet transform plots with the period on the y-axis, rather than scale. For example, let's say I have sampled river flow data each day for 258 days (dyadic year, for lack of a better term). How would I label the details and approximations in a multi-resolution decomposition so that it makes the analysis more intuitive. That is, one scale reflects details for flow cycles with a period of say 1 week, another a month, and so on. Not that the details would actually have such nice periods. It's just easier to interpret when I can put the scales into terms of days. Any help, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers, t.