Label period, instead of scale, for DWT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121303] Label period, instead of scale, for DWT
  • From: Tyler <hayes.tyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 05:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Everyone:

I was wondering if anyone knows how to label discrete wavelet
transform plots with the period on the y-axis, rather than scale.

For example, let's say I have sampled river flow data each day for 258
days (dyadic year, for lack of a better term). How would I label the
details and approximations in a multi-resolution decomposition so that
it makes the analysis more intuitive. That is, one scale reflects
details for flow cycles with a period of say 1 week, another a month,
and so on. Not that the details would actually have such nice periods.
It's just easier to interpret when I can put the scales into terms of
days.

Any help, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

t.