Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121419] Re: How create new style sheet- Mathematica 8
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:15:56 -0400 (EDT)

On 13/09/2011 12:28, John Fultz wrote:
> I don't understand your first point.  What do you mean by "Browse" option? I
> can't possibly think you mean that the file browsing dialog only shows 2 of n
> notebooks in some given directory.
>
> Yes, it is the case that notebooks with Saveable->False should be able to save,
> and don't in 8.0.1.  But that won't affect stylesheets created using the method
> I outlined.  And that bug will be fixed in a Mathematica incremental update
> which will hopefully be available soon.

I have never found creating style sheets easy - and I generally avoid
them, despite their obvious value.

It would be great if the process could be made more transparent. For
example:

1)   It would be nice to press a button and see the hierarchy of style
sheets leading to the notebook style sheet - preferably with their full
pathnames.

2)   What happens when a style sheet is installed - is it just placed
somewhere in the filestore?

3)   Editing a style sheet seems too much like editing a notebook -
which leads to confusion as to what can and cannot be done.

4)   If you end up with an edited style sheet when you close the
associated file (or Mathematica), I think it should tell you and ask you
what you want to do - just like you do not lose an edited notebook
without pressing "Don't Save".

This is one area where I sense WRI developers have put enormous effort,
but it never seems easy to use. Maybe a general, open discussion at the
conference would help.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk