TraditionalForm vs OutputForm display of negative signs

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get TraditionalForm to
change the way it displays the negative sign in certain situations?

Here is a transcript of what I mean:

=========Using TraditionalForm as default output=========

In[1]:= -x^2 y - x y^2
Out[1]= x^2 (-y)-x y^2

In[2]:= -x^2 y + x y^2
Out[2]= x y^2-x^2 y

In[3]:= -x^2 y
Out[3]= -x^2 y

In[4]:= -2 x^2 y - x y^2
Out[4]= -2 x^2 y-x y^2

=========Using StandardForm as default output=========

In[1]:= -x^2 y - x y^2
Out[1]= -x^2 y - x y^2

In[2]:= -x^2 y + x y^2
Out[2]= -x^2 y + x y^2

In[3]:= -x^2 y
Out[3]= -x^2 y

In[4]:= -2 x^2 y - x y^2
Out[4]= -2 x^2 y - x y^2

I prefer to use TraditionalForm as it looks better, but I don't like
the way it handles the negative sign in this particular situation.
(Compare Output #1 above.)

If I use StandardForm as the default output and try to convert Out[1]
to TraditionalForm, it immediately converts to x^2(-y)-xy^2.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Darryl