Re: passing Indeterminate and Infinity to C via MathLink

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121484] Re: passing Indeterminate and Infinity to C via MathLink
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 07:07:29 -0400 (EDT)

The fact that you're copying a matrix piece by piece using MLGetNext() +
MLGet<type> is a truly tiny inefficiency.  Seriously!  I mean, it obviously is
an inefficiency, but I seriously doubt it's the biggest inefficiency you're
running into.  I don't know exactly what your problem is...based upon your
concerns, I'll assume you're working with large data sets at some level...but in
general for this sort of problem, there are bigger fish to fry.  Let me outline
several different points below that you'll want to understand about dealing with
large data sets.

First big point, are the data being represented as a packed array in
Mathematica?  I can tell you right now that if you have Indeterminate or
Infinity in your data set, the answer is no!!  For example:

In[1]:= ByteCount[N@Range[100000]]

Out[1]= 800168

In[2]:= ByteCount[Append[N@Range[100000], 1.]]

Out[2]= 800176

In[3]:= ByteCount[Append[N@Range[100000], 1./0.]]

Power::infy: Infinite expression 1/0. encountered. >>

Out[3]= 3200088

Let me be very clear.  Mathematica certainly understands IEEE math internally,
but it represents the edge cases not as doubles, but as symbols.  You report
below that Mathematica correctly reads IEEE NaNs off of MathLink.  You're
correct, but this is a one-way conversion which immediately loses the game if
you were trying to maintain an extremely compact form.

Second big point...could you have done things more efficiently in Mathematica,
and avoided the massive inefficiency of pushing data sets through a shared
memory protocol between processes?  I can't speak to this at all since I don't
know what you're doing, but you should understand that transmission of data
between processes is never cheap, and a bit less so in a highly structured
communications protocol like MathLink.  But, more importantly, this compounds on
top of my first point.  Packed arrays will be transferred over MathLink in a
much more compact form than a list of mixed floats and symbols.  Expression
lists will take much longer to push over MathLink.  This communication time will
dwarf any costs to the particular method by which you retrieve the data from the
link.

Third big point...as I said above, the transmission is going to be more costly
than the individual read calls (which don't affect the mode of
transmission...only how the data are being spoon-fed to you).  Packed arrays
just represent that many fewer bytes to transmit, and that turns out to be a
pretty big deal.  You could, in Mathematica, do a last minute conversion to a
packed array by substituting Indeterminates and Infinities with some sort of
magic value that Mathematica will leave alone as a float, but that your C
program recognizes.  There might be a better way to do this...I am not the
world's expert on the kernel's internal representations, but I know quite a lot
about MathLink, and this is the best idea I have.  Of course, synthesizing the
packed array has its own cost...whether the benefit is outweighed by the cost is
something I would probably determine experimentally.

Fourth big point...the Manual type does *not* preclude efficient reading of
packed arrays when that's what has actually been written.  If MLGetReal64Array()
succeeds, then you've won!  In all likelihood (although exceptions are
technically possible), you've gotten the highest speed transmission rate, and
you get to have only one copy of the data in memory, so long as you're willing
to treat that copy as immutable.  If MLGetReal64Array() fails, then you can
construct the array using the more piecemeal approach I suggested in my previous
email.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com