Getting list of cities of Puerto Rico using Wolfram Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121580] Getting list of cities of Puerto Rico using Wolfram Alpha
  • From: Gilmar Rodriguez-pierluissi <peacenova at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 05:32:14 -0400 (EDT)

If I attempt to get a list of all cities in Puerto Rico via Wolfram Alpha using:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cities%2C+Puerto+Rico

Wolfram Alpha gives:

"Using closest Wolfram|Alpha interpretation: cities harbor rich" and then
"Computation timed out.  Experimental feature: Try again with more time".

When I attempt to get the larges cities in that island using:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=largest+cities%2C+Puerto+Rico

Wolfram Alpha indeed gives the five largest cities.

On the other hand; if I attempt to get the same info using Mathematica 8.0 via:

CountryData["PuertoRico", "LargestCities"] // TableForm

the name of the cities appear scrambled with the name "Puerto Rico" repeated
all over.

There are 78 "Municipalities" in Puerto Rico which are correctly listed here:
http://www.statoids.com/upr.html
http://flagspot.net/flags/pr(.html
http://www.topuertorico.org/city/index.shtml

If one tries:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cities%2C+Puerto+Rico

one would expect only the names of those 78 cities to show up.

Thank you!

Gilmar Rodriguez Pierluissi

P.S. This search was inspired by item 4 in:
http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/04/03/wow-this-is-mathematica/