MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: typesetting derivative at a value

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125758] Re: typesetting derivative at a value
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 03:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • References: <201203310844.DAA13046@smc.vnet.net>

It's somewhat cumbersome but it can be done.
1. In your notebook, place the cursor where you want the derivative to show.2. Open the Basic Math Assistant Palette.3. Go to the Typesetting section and in the first tab choose, in the fourth line, the particular form of the derivative you wish to type. Click on it.4. Fill in the variables and functions required.5. Back in the palette click on the second tab (where there is an infinity sign and a beta). Click at the bottom, where it says All Special Symbols and Characters. A Special Characters window will open.  Click on the Symbols tab. Look for the vertical line called RightBracketingBar and click. The vertical bar will show after the derivative in the notebook.6. Type Ctrl-minus, and a position will open at the bottom-right of the vertical bar, where you can type e.g. x = 0 or whatever. Remember that if you wish to type a subscript use Ctrl-minus.7. Finally, in the Men u bar go to Cell|ConvertTo|TraditionalFormDisplay
That's it.  Doesn't look bad at all (I had never tried it).
-Tomas
> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 03:44:42 -0500
> From: antony.blakey at gmail.com
> Subject: typesetting derivative at a value
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm wanting to typeset a derivative at a point, shown with a tall vertical bar to the right of the derivative (in traditional form), with the values at the bottom right of the bar in subscript size. I've tried using :|: et al, but they're never tall enough. Is there any way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antony Blakey.
>

• Prev by Date: Re: solve trig equations
  • Next by Date: Re: Exporting a formula to Excel via copypaste
  • Previous by thread: Re: typesetting derivative at a value
  • Next by thread: Re: typesetting derivative at a value