Re: How do I stop Mathematica changing the format of fractions in Input cells?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125791] Re: How do I stop Mathematica changing the format of fractions in Input cells?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 04:28:11 -0400 (EDT)

On 31/03/2012 09:45, John Browne wrote:
> I am writing a notebook where I want to display some expressions in
> Input cells, in the 2-D fractional numerator-over-denominator format.
>
> However, I find that when I open the notebook again some time later,
> Mathematica has of its own accord decided to rewrite some of the
> fractions in the 1-D format using a "/". I have not been able to pin
> down precisely under what circumstances this happens, but it might be
> happening when the numerator and/or denominator gets over a certain
> length (or perhaps complexity). My trials have failed to find a reliable
> pattern of behaviour.
>
> The Input cells are not entered to create Output. They are just used for
> typesetting. Expressions copied from these Input cells into other Cell
> styles also show the same problem.
>
> Is there some option I can set for the affected cells (or the whole
> notebook) to tell Mathematica to leave them formatted just as I compose
> them?
>
> John

I suspect you need to produce a reproducible example for anyone to
explore this. One way might be to create a notebook programatically that
shows the change of format when it is saved - otherwise any notebook
that you produce will be morphed before someone can look at it.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk