3D Rotations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125819] 3D Rotations
  • From: Mike Zentner <zentner.mike at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 04:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to rotate a function around a variable axis to show my
students how the solid looks and am having problems with the axis of
rotation.

Basic example:

RevolutionPlot3D[x^3, {x, 0, 2}, AxesLabel -> {x, z, y}]

However I want the function to rotate around an axis other than x ==
0, say, x == -1.  I have tried the RevolutionAxis command but it isn't
working.  Any help would be appreciated.