How to get the path of a .m file I am running?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125886] How to get the path of a .m file I am running?
  • From: Jesse Perla <jesseperla at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 05:52:30 -0400 (EDT)

I have a mathematica .m file that I am running on the command line (as well as in the IDE for debugging).

I want to get the path that it is run from so that I can store output files relative to it.  It seems that if I run the file from the command line that $InitialDirectory gives me what I want, but when I Right-Click Open on my desktop to view it in the Mathematica IDE, $InitialDirectory gives me something else.....

It looks like there is a function called NotebookDirectory[] which works for .nb's, but not for .m's....

Is there any trick to do the equivalent for .m?

Thanks,
Jesse