Re: Stuck solving recurrence formula

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125945] Re: Stuck solving recurrence formula
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at me.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 04:18:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi.  I don't have a solution, but just an idea.

I might break the problem up like this...

equ = {alpha[n + 1, j] ==  Sum[alpha[n, m]*Gamma[c*j - c*m + 1]/Gamma[j - m + 1], {m, n,  j - 1}],
          alpha[0, j] == Gamma[c*j + 1]/Gamma[j + 1]}

Then...

RecurrenceTable[equ, alpha, {n, 0, Nmax}, {j, n + 1, Nmax + 1}]

According to Help, a RecurrenceTable generates a list of values.
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can generate values, as both variables c and Nmax are undefined.
Perhaps you meant to use RSolve, and then generate a table?

HTH  :>)
Dana DeLouis
Mac & Math 8