Re: ListPlot question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg125903] Re: ListPlot question
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 05:58:26 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/5/2012 5:53 AM, JK wrote:
> I have a user defined function f[x]. I want to plot it discretely
> using ListPlot.
> Specifically, I want to do:
> ListPlot[f[x],{x,0,0.5,0.1}]
> So I want plot 5 point from the function with 5 sequence of arguments.
> However, the figure has an axis value of 0 to 5 instead of 0 to 0.5.
> Is there anyway to fix this?

I don't see how you are getting ListPlot to work at all, if that's
really what you did. ListPlot expects a list of y-values or a list of
points. You could make a table of points and then use ListPlot to plot
the table. But I think what you really want here is DiscretePlot.

f[x_] := x^2

DiscretePlot[f[x], {x, 0, 0.5, 0.1}, Filling -> False,
  PlotStyle -> PointSize[Medium]]

Helen Read
University of Vermont