Re: How to generate ``nice'' algebra output from command-line mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125909] Re: How to generate ``nice'' algebra output from command-line mathematica?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 06:00:31 -0400 (EDT)

On 04/04/2012 09:31, Jesse Perla wrote:
> I have a .m file that I am running mathematica on the command line
> (using a linux cluster, qsub, and piping the output to a file).  The
> generated algebra gets extremely complicated.  I would love to be able
> to see the output formatted in a familiar mathematica form (e.g. with
> the lambda symbol instead of \[Lambda], integrals, etc.).
>
> Are there any tricks to generate a mathematica workbook or something
> equivalent that I can read after my job is complete?  If necessary, I
> don't mind choosing some of the algebraic expressions and saving to a
> binary file at the end rather than having the whole session stored.  I
> don't need to resulting file to be an interactive workbook, so if
> there is some way to generate Latex or some static output, then I
> would be happy with that approach.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

It sounds as though you are not using the notebook interface - i.e.
starting Math rather than Mathematica. This will open in a window,
rather than at the Linux command line, but you will be surprised at how
beautiful the output is!

BTW, you can also open .m files in the notebook interface (also known as
the FrontEnd) and they will edit and execute nicely.

I assume you are using the latest Mathematica - 8.0 or maybe 7.0, if you
are using anything less than 3.0, I'd definitely suggest that you upgrade!

To answer your other question, I would not use DumpSave routinely to
save your work. There are far better ways - such as notebooks (.nb
suffix) that can store both input and output in a readable form.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk