Re: evaluate to True?

Hi,

> The misinterpretation of the function due to the name can be the cause
> of severe bugs as seen
> in message . Maybe a name like MatchQ would be more
> appropriate for future versions
> of Mathematica.

MatchQ already exists and does something slightly different. And MemberQ
has been existing for many versions and probably will never be changed
-- too much existing code would be broken.

I don't think that the name is problematic at all as there are many
functions in Mathematica that use patterns in a similar way (e.g.
Position, Cases, Collect...), so it doesn't really come as a surprise
that MemberQ behaves as it does. By using patterns these functions
become a lot more powerful so many users wouldn't see such a limitation
as an advantage...

albert