Re: evaluate to True?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125987] Re: evaluate to True?
  • From: clhotka at fundp.ac.be
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:19:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

thank you for pointing out that MatchQ already exists (see also
[mg125948]). I am suprised
that after more than 8 years of "heavy" usage of Mathematica I did
never use this
function (directly).

In fact in most of my codes I prefer to use the construct
Not[FreeQ[#]]& instead
of MemberQ. It is interesting to note that it still has the same
drawback as MemberQ:

LiteralMemberQ[expr_, form_] := MemberQ[expr, Verbatim[form]]
myMemberQ[expr_, form_] := Not[FreeQ[expr, form]]

LiteralMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, 2]
True

myMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, 2]
True

LiteralMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, expr_]
False

myMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, expr_]
True

LiteralMemberQ[{0, 1, expr_}, expr_]
True

myMemberQ[{0, 1, expr_}, expr_]
True

As you can see the difference in the above examples is that
LiteralMemberQ[{0,1,2},expr_] returns False while
myMemberQ[{0,1,2},expr_] returns True.

I am still thinking that both functions should return neither True nor
False (see argumentation below) in this case. It took me some time to
design the following
function:

myMemberQ[expr_, form_] := Switch[Head[form],
   Pattern,
   If[Intersection[
      Cases[expr, Verbatim[form], \[Infinity]], {form}] != {}, True,
    Undefined],
   _,
   Not[FreeQ[expr, form]]]

The behaviour is now:

myMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, 3]
False

myMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, 2]
True

myMemberQ[{0, 1, 2}, expr_]
Undefined

myMemberQ[{0, 1, expr_}, expr_]
True

with the additional nice property that

myMemberQ[{0, 1, 2^expr_}, expr_]
True

LiteralMemberQ[{0, 1, 2^expr_}, expr_]
False

while

MemberQ[{0, 1, 2^expr_}, expr_]

returns

True

not because of expr_ in 2^expr_ but because every element of
{0,1,2^expr_} matches expr_.

Please let me know your opinion,

Christoph