Re: nonlinearmodelfit problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126053] Re: nonlinearmodelfit problem
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 04:59:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi
my name is Lorenzo Mattera, I am using since a short time Mathematica.
I am trying to solve a fitting problem where two sets of data have to be
fitted by two models depending on the same parameters.
I found very helpful the suggestions reported at
http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2011/Sep/msg00555.html (and
references therein) so that I was able to
produce a working procedure. However, I have a "small" problem:
the two set of data have quite different weights as one is in the
0-100000 range while the other is in the 0-1 range so that one of the two is
irrelevant in the fitting procedure.
It seems to me that NonlinearModelFit minimizes the sum of the squared
residuals,
any way to minimize the squared  normalized residuals?
Perhaps is one of the options, but so far I could not find it.
Tank you for the help
best regards
L. Mattera

Hi, Lorenzo,

I am not quite sure what did you exactly mean with "0-100000 range" and "0-1 range", x values range? y values range? Or numbers of data pairs. An example of such a data + the corresponding model would be helpful for understanding.

Anyway, however, it seems that playing with Weights might help. Have a look into Menu/Help/Weights.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan,