Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126056] Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how
  • From: A Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 03:08:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Are there any characters that are simply in the ASCII set and hence won't
> expand to something complicated when I use a .m file or use mathematica on
> the commandline?

no, AFAIK there is only $ that could be used as that. But that has the
disadvantage that it is used by Mathematica itself to create unique
symbol names for lexical scoping with Module (and some other places) and
thus needs to be used with care (or probably not at all): you would have
to make sure that the names you create don't interfere with anything
that Mathematica could create, e.g. x$12 would be a very bad choice
since Module[{x},x] will create exactly such symbols.

hth,

albert