Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126081] Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 03:18:41 -0400 (EDT)

David,
Don't forget that Workbench is also a perfectly legitimate platform for working in Mathematica, and primarily displays in ASCII. Programming with these Unicode characters with the ungainly \[...] names is a serious pain, and makes for uniquely unreadable code.

Also, camel case is fine when just typing symbol names, but I am currently working on an application where I need to generate symbol names.  Without some kind of delimiting character, some of the generated names may conflict or not be readable.  I ended up using $ out of sheer necessity, as it is on e of the few ASCII non- alphanumeric characters available for naming.

Daniel