Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126090] Re: What characters are allowed in mathematica variable names? i.e. how
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 06:09:04 -0400 (EDT)

On 13/04/2012 10:00, Jesse Perla wrote:
> Thanks.  Lets say that I never want to use the FrontEnd and don't want to
> use any escaped characters (i.e. \[....]) because they are a pain to write
> and format within command line mathematica.

I am probably one of the most command-line oriented programmers you will
find, but absolutely nothing would persuade me to abandon the FrontEnd!
Even is you like your program to be stored in a clear test .m file, do
you realise that you can edit these in Mathematica, much as if they were
a notebook, and the result will save back as a .m file. It is even
possible to add headings, sub headings and text cells to your code.
These are hidden as comments in the .m file! Probably notebooks should
have been organised in this way!

At least try editing .m files in the FrontEnd!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk