Re: Understanding patterns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126101] Re: Understanding patterns
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 06:04:33 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/16/12 at 6:10 AM, sam.takoy at yahoo.com (Sam Takoy) wrote:

>I hoping to get some pointers on understanding patterns. For
>example, I can't quite make sense of the following:

>f[p : {__?NumericQ}] :=

>What is the meaning of "{", the double underscore, and the question
>mark?

The { and } make the pattern match a list
The double underscore matches one or more items
the ? combined with NumbericQ defines a pattern test that
returns true when the argument is numeric So, the pattern shown
should match a list of one or more numeric items which can be
verified by:

In[1]:= MatchQ[{1, Pi, .3}, {__?NumericQ}]

Out[1]= True

In[2]:= MatchQ[{1}, {__?NumericQ}]

Out[2]= True

In[3]:= MatchQ[1, {__?NumericQ}]