Re: Understanding patterns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126104] Re: Understanding patterns
  • From: Simon <simonjtyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:52:09 -0400 (EDT)

> I can't quite make sense of the following:
>
> f[p : {__?NumericQ}] :=

The other replies have already described what the pattern does. I thought it might just be useful to point out that you can also examine the FullForm structure:
In[]:= FullForm[p:{__?NumericQ}]
Out[]= Pattern[p, List[PatternTest[BlankSequence[], NumericQ]]]

Sometimes when constructing complicated patterns with defaults etc, I find it useful to look at the FullForm...