Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126171] Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:08:46 -0400 (EDT)

If you give Mathematica an exact input, it will only provide an exact
output even if that requires maintaining the input form

x1 = Sin[1]

Sin[1]

Compare with what happens with an inexact input

x2 = Sin[1.]

0.841471

An exact result can be converted with N

x3 = Sin[1] // N

0.841471

x1 == x2 == x3

True

Some exact results are immediately available

Sin[Pi/4]

1/Sqrt[2]

Bob Hanlon