evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg126159] evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: Eduardo Fontana <prof.eduardofontana at>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 00:33:05 -0400 (EDT)
Once in a while a face a problem with Mathematica in which I cannot
get a straightforward numerical output.
I have a function defined in mathematica, I try to evaluate the
function with numerical arguments and mathematica returns a replica of
my function with the same arguments. It must be something I set
without noticing. I cannot get numerical results at all.
In another instance, I have a summation of about 1000 terms defined as
a function of 3 arguments. When I use numerical arguments, instead of
Mathematica calculating a numerical result it generates a symbolic
output with all 1000 terms. Even if a try something very simple such
In[1]: Sin[1]
the output is
Out[1]: Sin[1]
Could anyone give me a clue on this?