Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126183] Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: Eduardo Fontana <prof.eduardofontana at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 05:30:08 -0400 (EDT)

> My reply to Kevin is now being sent to others who kindly replied to
this topic. I attached a image file but it was returned by the
moderator.

> Please read my comments below to Kevin and extensive to others who
might help. The output file is in a pdf document on google docs on the
link below.
regards to all
Eduardo

Dear Kevin

> thanks for your reply. I can go along with your explanation, even
though I havent had this interpretation of results from Mathematica
before. I never had to use the N option befor. What about my second
enquire, reproduced below
>>> In another instance, I have a summation of about 1000 terms defined as
>>> a function of 3 arguments. When I use numerical arguments to calculate the summation, instead of
>>> Mathematica calculating a numerical result it generates a symbolic
>>> output with all 1000 terms.
> It doesnt make sense that Mathematica chooses to do the whole thing symbolically. I have made similar calculations before, and Mathematica performed the calculation numerically. I presume that I have enabled some sort of symbolic calculation, but I cannot find where. I am attaching a a link to a pdf file showing a image of the generated result for my function called "Absorption". The other functions are defined prior to the definition of Absorption. I just want to show the type of result generated. Also, If I want to plot my function Absorption relative to one of the arguments, Mathematica just doesnt plot it.
> Best regards
The output image is in the google docs file below
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw08G8QtolpXUDBnQUswdXUyVE0
Eduardo Fontana, PhD
Professor Titular
Dep. de Eletr=F4nica e Sistemas
UFPE - Centro de Tecnologia e Geoci=EAncias
Bloco A, Sala 421 Recife - PE 50.740-550
Skype: edu.fontana
Phones: +5581-21267792, +5511-30424021
http://www.ufpe.br/fontana